Saint Maria of the Boa Vista, as well as other communities of the Valley of the San Francisco, was a farm of cattle of the domain of Garci’a D Avila. In the process of domain succession the Brando family appears, with the property ' ' Volta' farm; ' , aluso to the curve of the river San Francisco. It consists in archaeological research that in 1672 had some aboriginal villages in the region, being distinguished of the Corips in the island of Saint Maria and of the Cariris in the island of the Aracap. (Library of the IBGE). The parish was created by act of the Table of the Conscience and Commands of 30 of January of 1672, of Portugal, being installed in 14 of August of the following year, having as padroeira Saint Maria, under invocation of the Immaculate Conceio.
It belonged to the Diocese of Olinda, later the Fishing and Forest, and finally to the one of Petrolina. The first vicar, Foot had acted in the region. Ezequiel Gameira and the first priest, Frei Anastcio d Audierne beyond other missionaries who had arrived at the city, at the time: Franois Danfront, Boaventura, Frei Martin de Nantes and Frei Apolinrio. The administrative formation of the city followed a trajectory, first of Clientele, created with the denomination of Boa Vista, for the resolution of 30-01-1762. Later raised to the category of village with the denomination of Boa Vista, for the provincial law n 58, of 19-04-1838.
Installed in 01-10-1838. For the provincial laws ns 530, of 07-06-186 and 921, 18-05-1870, the village of Boa Vista was extinct. Later being again raised to the category of village, for the provincial laws ns 601, of 13-05-1864 and 1057, of 07-06-1872. Reinstalled in 30-05-1873. The municipal law n 4, of 16-01-1893, creates after that the district of Carabas, annexed to the city of Boa Vista.